As so many set resolutions for the New Year, it seems as though the theme is always to do more in 2016. More exercise, more work, more plans, more “stuff” and bigger and better things ahead seem to be the plan. However, sometimes less is actually more.
Our society is so “plugged in” that it seems as if we don’t immediately return a text or email that we are committing a faux pas. Even our kids are continually on electronics whether playing games, surfing or messaging.
Think about making 2016 the year you unwound from the social media and actually learned how to unplug. Here are some suggestions for things you can do instead of always being attached to your phone or computer.
1. Buy a coloring book and colored pencils and start creating art: You’d be surprised how relaxing it is.
2. Go to bed early to read: There is a reason why our forefathers were able to get up at sunrise. They actually went to bed when it got dark out.
3. Meditate: A few minutes of quiet meditation each day can do so much good for not only your mind but your body as well.
4. Put your phone away: Try keeping your phone in your car when at dinner and have a “No Phones Rule” when you are out with friends or family. It’s shocking to see how many couples are in a restaurant both with their faces in their phones.
5. Write: Spending time journaling every day is peaceful and healing.
6. Play a game: We all have that closet full of games we forgot about for our electronics. Why not pull out one of your old childhood games like Sorry, Payday, LIFE or Twister?
7. Take a class: What have you always wanted to learn how to do? There are so many places you can take creative classes these days, such as knitting, clay work, cake decorating, cooking, etc. It’s amazing how calming it can be to create beautiful things.
8. Give gratitude: When is the last time you actually took the time for a hand-written note for nothing except to say you are grateful someone is in your life?
9. Purge: We all seem to have “that drawer” in our house that holds everything we couldn’t find a place for. Throwing things away creates a vacuum for more good things to come into your life.
10. Self care: Chiropractic adjustments, massage, manicures, pedicures, facials, aromatherapy, acupuncture all help the nerve system, calm the body and will actually keep you healthier in 2016.
There are so many more ideas of things you can do besides plug into your phone first thing in the morning and going until late at night.
Mindfulness could be a great theme for 2016 and being fully present with your loved ones instead of continually distracted by electronics.
We wish you an amazing 2016 of being fully present in every moment.